vSAN use cases#
The following example is a sample customer use case for vSAN in Rackspace Private Cloud Powered by VMware (RPC-VMware):
- 150 VMs - average 80 GB per VM total = 12 TB)
- The customer does not have specific performance SLAs, but states they: want great performance plus space reduction technology.
- Concerning availability, the customer states: at all times, even during periods of scheduled maintenance, the VMs must tolerate at least 1 unplanned host or drive failure.
- 8 host cluster (DL380 2.5” Chassis)
- All Flash Storage
- 2 Disk groups: each with 1 x 400 GB cache SSD and 4 x 480 GB capacity SSDs
- Deduplication and Compression
- Business critical VMs storage profile: FTT=2, Method = Capacity (RAID 6)
- Useable capacity (assuming FTT=2, RAID6, dedupe/compression ratio = 1.5 to 1): 19 TB
- VM to host ratio: 18.75 to 1 (With 2 hosts offline: 25 to 1)