Recommended Network Configuration¶
This section describes the necessary scaffolding and processes to create the initial AWS network environment for Rackspace customers using AWS through the Fanatical Support for AWS offering. A CloudFormation template and additional supporting scripts will be used to create the initial network and all of its necessary components, thus providing Public and Private subnets for EC2 instances and other AWS services.
- A Single VPC
- Availability Zones (AZ) Options
- Two AZ deployments are the standard
- Three AZ deployment to address specific application requirements
- Public Tier - could be accessible from the Internet
- Private Tier - could access the Internet via a NAT environment
- Subnets in each Tier will have the same network masks
- Highly Available Outbound NAT (HA-NAT) with Elastic IP - for EC2 gateways in the Private Subnets
- Security Groups - primary method to isolate and secure workloads
- Tagging - to address Rackspace billing and operational processes
You can access the template by downloading it from here.
The template will create AWS resources for which you will be charged (for example, EC2 NAT gateways).