Stacks and resources have a state and a status as described in the lists that follow:
- INIT – (Resources only) The resource has not been provisioned.
- CREATE – The stack/resource is new.
- UPDATE – The stack/resource is changed.
- DELETE – The stack/resource is deleted.
- ROLLBACK – A previously failed change is being reverted.
- ADOPT – The stack/resource is adopted.
- CHECK – The stack/resource health is checked.
- IN-PROGRESS – The operation is in progress.
- COMPLETE – The operation is compete.
- FAILED – The operation failed.
So, if you create a new stack and something goes wrong, your stack would be CREATE FAILED. One or more resources of that stack may be in the following states:
- INIT COMPLETE
- CREATE FAILED
- CREATE COMPLETE