This information helps you get started with VMware disaster recovery resources.
What is VMware Site Recovery?#
VMware Site Recovery™ brings trusted replication, orchestration, and automation technologies to VMware Cloud on AWS to protect applications and workloads in the event of site failures. The service is built on an industry-leading solution for recovery plan automation, VMware Site Recovery Manager™, and native hypervisor-based replication, VMware vSphere® Replication™. VMWare Site Recovery provides an end-to-end disaster recovery solution that is quick to deploy and leverages proven VMware technologies. Site Recovery Manager is designed for virtual machines and for protecting applications running in a VMware vSphere environment.
To deliver flexibility and choice, Site Recovery Manager integrates natively with vSphere Replication leveraging the benefits of VMware vSphere. Site Recovery Manager lets users test and automate the migration process of applications between sites at scale with minimal or no downtime. It fulfills the needs for a variety of use cases like disaster recovery, disaster avoidance, and planned data center migrations.
VMware Site Recovery ensures fast and highly predictable recovery times, simplifies management through automation, and minimizes the total cost of ownership. It enables application availability and mobility across sites in private cloud environments.
Key features and capabilities#
Traditional disaster recovery (DR) solutions that rely on manual processes often fail to meet business requirements because they are too expensive, complex, and unreliable. VMware Site Recovery Manager automates many aspects of executing a recovery plan to accelerate recovery and reduce the risks involved with manual processes. The features and benefits of VMware Site Recovery are:
- Non-disruptive recovery testing: Performs automated failover testing as frequently as needed in an isolated network to avoid impact on production applications and ensure regulatory compliance through detailed reports.
- Automated orchestration workflows: Performs the DR failover or planned migration, as well as failback of recovered virtual machines to the original site, and executes the same recovery plan with a single click.
- Automated recovery of network and security settings: Site Recovery Manager integrates with VMware NSX®, eliminating the need to reconfigure IP addresses on recovered virtual machines. Security policies are also preserved, further reducing configurations post-recovery.
Managed VMC on AWS disaster recovery support levels#
Rackspace offers two support levels for disaster recovery for Managed VMC on AWS customers:
- Essential: With Essential DR, after Site Recovery components are installed and pairing is established, the customer is responsible for most configuration and operations activities.
- Managed: With Managed DR, in addition to installation and pairing responsibilities, Rackspace is also be responsible for most configuration and operations activities based on guidance and requests from the customer.
NOTE: With either Essential DR or Managed DR support levels, if the source site is a customer-managed environment rather than a Rackspace-managed environment, the customer is responsible for performing and assisting Rackspace with certain installation and configuration activities.